Tuesday, February 24, 2009

She's Three

It was cold when you came-
But in my heart it was mid summer and I fell in love-
It was the first time I saw your Daddy cry-
You were so brave-
You frowned and cried at your new surroundings-
But you stopped when we held you close-
You weren't in Heaven anymore-
You were just a little bit of Heaven brought to us-
You knew our voices-
And your little spirit was familiar-


We became a family of three and none of our lives' would ever be the same again-
You were the first to call me Mommy-
There's just nothing like it-

You have taught me that being a mom isn't just about making the Mac-n-Cheese-
It's about eating it-
It's not about cleaning the mess-
It's about making it-

It's not about knowing a lot of songs-
It's about singing them-
It's not about the heat of the moment-
It's about the memory-

It's not about the failure-
It's about the success-
It's not about the answer-
It's about trying-

It's not about the scenery alone-
It's about the voyage-
It's not about a schedule-
It's about a lifetime-

It's not just about enduring-
It's about joy-

Happy Birthday. Again.

When a miracle is in your arms, you must take note.

Under the lights your first night home. Oh jaundice. After I had your crib all ready too. Neither of us liked that suitcase of lights you had to sleep in for a few days. Daddy and I said you looked like a little snowboarder.

At one of your appointments, after you had given the Doctor a run for his money, He said, "I can see your future Scout, and it's not boring."

And then you were a one-year-old, and I thought I had just given birth.




Your first Halloween
Your new hat

Your first trip to the Dinosaur Museum

Your two-year-old birthday bike








And you are growing up ... Now you are three
Princess Scout at her third birthday party
We rented a room at Noah's so we could all celebrate, and of course so we could run around.



I love you Scout

9 comments:

Allie said...

I love the poem! She is so cute, can you believe how fast time flies? My oldest is almost 9!! You are such a great example to me of motherhood...

Kristi said...

Happy Birthday Scout!!! You are such a happy darling little girl!!!

Stacy and Cam said...

Tell her happy birthday from both of us!! She is so dang cute. That is crazy she is already three. Wow, times flies by fast. We need to get together soon so call me when you can or I will call you!

Michelle said...

Brooke, you are the greatest mom! I have loved getting to know you through the blogs...you are wonderful! Tell your beautiful Scout Happy Happy birthday!!
Love you!!

leah said...

Happy Birthday Scout. She is darling.
Your writing brought tears to my eyes. You explained being a new mom so perfectly.

Remember to Breathe said...

Beautifully said! Time does fly. Hope things are good for you guys! :)

Elizabeth said...

Loved this. My favorite line was, "When you hold a miracle in your arms, you take note."

Yes.

The Aulava Family said...

Happy Birthday Scout. Gosh, time flies. She is growing to be such a beautiful girl.

PS love your blog it is so cute.

Amy said...

Happy late birthday to Scout! Jack and I had lots of fun looking at these pictures. I love the picture of you and Scout sitting on the couch when you were pregnant with Boston. It reminded me that I need to get a picture of Jack with his baby sister while she's still in my belly. It was really sweet. We miss you guys so much. Jack and Scout would have a ball together.