Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Rise and Shout the Cougars are Out!

Yes, we still cheer for BYU. The TCU wake-up call is behind us, and we are ready for UNLV. Right? Anyway, BYU homecoming was a few weekends ago, and it was fun to go to the small-town annual homecoming parade. This is my kind of parade. You show up just as it starts and get a front row seat, and it only lasts long enough for you to get the parade experience. There is more candy than the fourth of July parade (because no one is there to fight for it), and there are a few random people and "things" in the parade (like the tooth you are about to see) that don't even have a banner or a name. They just walk in the parade and everyone cheers for them.
I thought about getting a cool car and riding in it with a sign on the side that just said, "Brooke Kamalu" and see how many claps and cheers I could get.

If I am not mistaken, there was a club in this parade last year proudly waving a banner that said, "The Tony Danza Club." That was the same year that some parade marchers just dusted the bleachers where we were sitting with flour. Yeah. Everyone was just clapping and yelling and then out of nowhere they (and us) were all clovered in flour for no apparent reason. It was one of those moments where you look at everyone around you and think, "Did that just happen?" But no one really says anything.

It was so hysterical- Silence- Look at eachother- Continue clapping and cheering-

So this year we didn't have any flour worries or Tony Danza fanatics (now that I think of it the men's swim team wasn't freezing their butts off in just Speedos in the back of a truck either). It was a little chilly, but the candy just kept coming, and Boston and Scout kept looking at each other and around the crowd to see if it was really for them. After it was all over Scout asked me, "Mom why were they throwing all this candy to me?" She was wondering just why they were so glad she came, and what it was all about. :)

For many reasons I love Provo in the fall. BYU football is one of those reasons.

Grandma Karen even came up to stay with us and went to the game with a friend. It was great to have her here, and Scout and Boston loved playing and talking with her. Scout thought she was so cool when Grandma Karen bought her some glow-in-the-dark lipstick and fingernail polish. We even went for a short visit to Grandma and Grandpa Morgan's house, and the girls created a forty-minute clean up mess in five minutes with cupcakes.

Ben had to work Saturday, and we (myself the most) missed him. But he did make it over to Grandma and Grandpa Reeves' house a little before the game was over, and he was just in time to help corall the little ones.

If you listen real close on game day you might hear us yelling "Go Cougars!" or in Scout's case, "GO BIU!"


Boston decided to just adapt the permanent wave.
Scout wasn't sure about the cold weather at first.
So much candy. Such a little hand.
I love this picture of her chubby little hands just packing it all in.
Okay, maybe he did have a point..brush your teeth after all that candy kids- OR maybe he is a lone protester who wanted to abolish throwing candy at parades. Maybe he belonged to the dental club and got lost because he couldn't see. Not sure. At any rate, he (or she) was proud to be in the grand BYU homecoming parade, and we clapped for a tooth.

BranDee and I were speechless over the dance moves of the Medieval club.
Like I said, Boston and Scout were astonished that all this candy was for them.
Is that girl wearing high heels in a parade? These umbrella dancers were....spirited (not sure..never seen it before. Maybe they were chosen to replace the Tony Danza club).










This was only the beginning of the cupcake mess.


3 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh Brooke that was so funny! I love the chubby hands and the candy!! I really think that those are the best parades...short and sweet and lots of candy! The cupcakes look yummy and messy! Cute family, as always!!!

Grandma Lori said...

Hi Brooke! I told Michelle I finally figured out how to leave comments! (It takes some seniors a little longer than others.) I love your blog. You are so articulate in your writing, I love it. Brad & I have been invited with Steven & Kirsten for BYU's Nov. 9th game. I'm not a huge fan, but I did buy me a BYU sweatshirt in Park City last weekend for the game! Love you all! Lori

Elizabeth said...

I love your short hair, Brooke. It looks so good on you.

And your children (and family) are so lovely, too.